I have come to the official conclusion that speed training is effective *cue everyone saying DUHHHH*. However, I am not a fan of the feeling of sheer nausea that overwhelms my body when attempting to do said speed work. Vomit anyone? No please.
So I was rather proud of myself that today I succeeded in:
1) Running 10×400 repeats at 7:00/mile pace (aka my goal 5K pace)
2) Performed said repeats with only 1 minute of “rest” in between
3) Did not toss my morning bagel, coffee, and rice cakes onto the treadmill deck
4) Performed speed work on the DREADmill. I don’t care if people say running on a treadmill is easier. The one I run on is not. It is old. It is total 100% JANK. I would rather run outside or on a track any day.
5) I completed 5.5 miles including warm-up and cool-down. Then promptly ran 2 miles later on as a “shake-out” run.
6) My knee behaved like a good girl should even if it was only because I patellar strapped the hell out of it.
So therefore, I have also decided, my favorite speed workout is 400’s. Because they are hard enough to make my legs turn into turd-piles, but also short enough that my food stays in its digestive track.
Happy and Feisty Eli, rejoice!